Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Scope today

Today I am going to see my ENT (Ear Nose Throat doctor). He is the doctor that discovered my tumor. I am having a scope to see how much damage the radiation and chemo have done to the tumor.

First, I will take a sedative before i leave my house :)

Next, they spray something in my nostrils to numb it. Then they take a small camera connected to a tube and put it up my nose.

This is not the most fun procedure, but I am excited (and nervous and scared) to see what is going on up there.

Yesterday I went to see my radiation oncologist and he said I am doing far better than expected at this point. After checking me out, he said I was doing great for only six weeks post radiation. I told him I'm only 3 weeks out and he was amazed. My voice is back, the burns on the outside have completely healed, and inside my throat he could only see one patch that isn't quite healed yet. Some foods still taste horrible. I can't taste sugar right now, so with ice cream, or any kind of sweet, it tastes like it was made without sugar. I am able to eat other foods though. meats and vegies and pasta. I am maintaining my weight now at 160. I started at 188. My jeans don't fit me anymore and most of my shirts drown me, but I don't want to buy any clothes until after the last round of chemo. I can expect to lose about another 30 lbs, but I don't know. I will lose my taste and appetite again, but I won't have the raw throat.

Right now, I am enjoying the foods that do taste right to me, having fun driving, and just plain enjoying feeling healthy and somewhat energetic. Yesterday I went to the mall and just roamed around for a while. Happy that I could do it.

No comments: