Sunday, February 8, 2009

Sad day

When I first found out I had cancer, I began researching on the internet. I found a ton of information, and a wonderful support group for people with nasopharyngeal carcinoma. I have many friends on the website. Among them, a lady named Roberta, whose husband Rod has suffered for quite a while with cancer, and was still in treatment. I believe the tumor either came back, or didn't respond to the first round of treatment. She posted tonight to let us know that he passed away unexpectedly this morning. He was sleeping and apparently aspirated.

There was a time during my treatment when the gunk in my throat was so thick, that I worried about aspirating in my sleep. During this time I didn't take anything for pain or to help me sleep. My saliva isn't back to normal yet, but it isn't at a dangerous place either.

I knew that this cancer could be deadly. That not everybody survives, but I wasn't prepared for this today. I am grateful that I have responded so well to treatment. That it seems to be working and pray that it will not return.

For Roberta, How good of you to stand by your husband and care for him through his whole ordeal. I know it can be ugly and exhausting. You never complained, and had so much love for him. For Rod, you fought so hard. I'm sorry that you had to suffer so much during the last part of your life. I know you are now whole again, and that you will be with each other again one day. Love you and miss you already!

1 comment:

Hayward Family said...

How sad! I'm sorry for their loss!