Thursday, November 26, 2009

Tasting the turkey

It is hard to believe that a year ago at this time I was in the middle of chemotherapy and radiation. I remember going to my mother's for Thanksgiving, and not being able to taste much, other than ham, which tasted rancid. I didn't have much of an appetite, but ate some, and later went to Valerie's for pie.
I had lost my voice a few days earlier, so I wasn't able to speak above a very hoarse whisper. I was in such a haze, it seemed almost as thought I were watching the party from outside of a window or something. I felt very disconnected.
Today I was able to make most all of the food, and hosted the family, and, with some help from Levi, cleaned up as well. I am quite sore after today, but I was so happy to be able to physically do as much as I did. Recovery is still going more slowly than I would like it to, but I am getting there. Physically, I am at about 75% capacity now and mentally I would say 95%. The last couple of days I have found myself very worried about the tumor coming back. I have had a head cold which is effecting my ears, sinuses and throat, and has now moved into my lungs. I have asthma which is usually under control, but once it starts up, it can take a while to get under control.

Right now I am in a bit of a Thanksgiving dinner coma, and I am very happy about it :) Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

No comments: